Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
Dusty Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
(05-23-2014 09:49 PM)kbell Wrote:  I finished A guide to Rational Living several weeks ago. It takes awhile for the main ideas to germinate in my head. There was two ideas that stood out for me, the visualizing bad events, and awfulizing. He mentions awfulizing in almost every chapter. Basically when you awfulize, you describe a situation as being awful and imply that it must not exist. "My coworker hates me, and its awful, I can't stand it!" You can't control your coworker but you can survive someone hating you. It might be inconvenient but not unbearable. Awful is a strong word more suited for becoming paraplegic or becoming a slave to ex-wife. You could still survive in both cases. The other tool of visualizing something that causes awfulizing or cognitive distortions and your supposed to feel the emotions at the time. I can't feel the emotions but I can think of the rational rebuttals to those situations. So its somewhat useful. Perhaps it will become more useful in time as I get better at it.

Thanks for posting this. It's interesting to get another person's perspective on "Guide." I like your summary of the key takeaways.

Yes, I think Ellis says, and I agree, that a lot of depression and anxiety comes from awfulizing. Or more generally, from exaggerating.

I've found that if I am feeling an overwrought emotion, I am most likely exaggerating.

Even a common topic here- Approach Anxiety- has it's roots in exaggerations. Really, these little girls have no power to do anything truly harmful to us if we stop and think about it. I think it's best to remind yourself of that over and over, because sometimes the rational lessons get forgotten.
05-23-2014 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Dusty's post:
kbell, Giovonny, MMX2010

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT - Dusty - 05-23-2014 10:03 PM