Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
Dusty Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT
(05-23-2014 10:43 PM)The Lizard of Oz Wrote:  kbell, like you said, it takes a while for these ideas to germinate -- even more than just a few weeks.

The ideas of REBT/CBT have this character, that they seem deceptively simple and even obvious when presented, and yet we somehow keep forgetting them and living and thinking their opposite as soon as we look away. It takes a good deal of rumination on these ideas and a good deal of applying them to all sorts of situations and parts of life before they truly become anything like second nature.

There is a good illustration here of the difference between recognition and understanding. It is easy enough to recognize the validity of the ideas, but it takes time, work, and practice to gain a real deep understanding of them. And this can be paradoxically harder for more intelligent people, since they find recognition so easy that they feel they can skip all the steps -- and then never gain any understanding or derive any real benefit.

In your case, I think these ideas have started to really influence you in a serious way but it takes a while for them to gradually deepen and take root. So keep reflecting on them and applying them to various situations, and give it time.

These are very good points Lizard.

The reason we keep falling back on our old irrational thoughts that undermine us is because of habit. We have been rehearsing these thoughts over and over our whole life, so we have kind of brainwashed ourselves. We believe this stuff because it takes no effort, and its just habit.

It takes a long time to break old habits and create new ones. Creating new habits takes effort.

I used REBT to manage a very stressful work situation a few years ago. One thing I did was write some of my rational thoughts on index cards which I kept in my pocket. I'd look at these reminders a few times day. It helped to reinforce the message.

I like what you say about going from recognizing rational ideas versus deeply understanding them. Ellis would say that taking action is one of the best ways to implant your rational thoughts in your core. It's hard to keep believing something irrational when you prove it over and over with action that contradicts the irrational belief.
05-23-2014 11:29 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Dusty's post:
Giovonny, The Lizard of Oz, kbell, MMX2010

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reframing your mind to battle depression and CBT - Dusty - 05-23-2014 11:29 PM