Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Keeping your opinions to yourself in social situations
Sonsowey Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

RE: Keeping your opinions to yourself in social situations
The other night I was with a friend and we "debated" about several issues for about an hour. It was enjoyable, intellectual sparring. We didn't fight, we didn't get upset, we enjoyed it.

I like those kinds of interaction, intellectual exercise, it's like getting out and sprinting after being cooped up in an office all day.

Yet almost everyone I try this with just isn't into it, and they take it as an argument or dickisness.

Example: At a dinner party with several people from different countries, several people learning languages, I mentioned that Russian, Spanish and English were all somewhat related, being Indo-European languages. A Russian girl took great offense. I tried to explain, but she was getting terribly upset at me. Since I don't speak Russian, she thought it unreasonable that I even state something like "English and Russian are in the same language family." I had to just drop the subject because she was getting increasingly irritated and beginning to yell, ruining the dinner party because she didn't even know what language families were, and sure as hell wasn't going to accept such a thing from me for whatever reason.

What in the world am I to do?
(This post was last modified: 12-17-2013 01:11 AM by Sonsowey.)
12-17-2013 01:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Keeping your opinions to yourself in social situations - Sonsowey - 12-17-2013 01:11 AM