Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Poaching an Employee From a Friend's Startup
Safado Offline
Robin

Poaching an Employee From a Friend's Startup
Here's the situation:

There's this girl who works for a startup that I'm friends with. The girl is incredible. She is hard working, focused, committed to improving her craft, and takes initiative within the framework that she is provided.

She's making decent money for a girl her age working for some friends of mine. The startup itself suffers from poor leadership and has serious cashflow issues. I've done more than any busy person should to try to help these guys but the bottom line is they're scared of making money.

The girl in question is aware of everything that is going on, she's aware that the company isn't on such solid financial footing. She was drawn in more because the startup has a compelling vision behind it. She's starting to recognize that the leadership is not entirely capable of carrying out that vision.

I really want to poach this girl from these guys because they've already trained her to do exactly what I need for a project I'm going to start. She is quite fond of me and has a lot of faith in my leadership capabilities. If I presented an opportunity for her I'm pretty sure I could convince her to jump ship.

There are some issues here though:
1. I'm pretty close with these guys. They might not be the strongest businessmen but they are friends. If I poach their employee I'll have soured the relationship.
2. Do I really want a girl to work for me who was willing to dump her previous employer for a better offer?

I'm not sure if this belongs in the game category because it almost seems like we're talking about stealing a guy's girlfriend. Its like we're talking about whether I should bang my friend's girlfriend.

The skills she have I can find in other people, but I might need 2 of them to get 1 of her. It would take time to try to find another employee, but it would take time and social capital to get this girl on board.

As I was writing this I remembered that one of the guys cockblocked me once. He wasn't even interested in the girl, he just wanted to cockblock me because I was using game (albeit bad game, I was palm reading the girl at a bar). That was pretty fucked up. The other guy who works in this startup is an upstanding character.

Is it a scarcity mindset to try to poach this girl? Does the bro code extend to employees?
03-31-2014 07:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Poaching an Employee From a Friend's Startup - Safado - 03-31-2014 07:24 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Working as an employee sterlingarcher 9 1,923 08-19-2019 10:17 PM
Last Post: SilentOne
  Houston Money vs. NYC Startup vs. Expat SE Asia iamkaisersoze 17 3,334 07-09-2018 09:16 AM
Last Post: The Black Knight
Thumbs Down Reasons for business startup failure Thomas the Rhymer 40 13,859 10-15-2017 07:28 AM
Last Post: H1N1