Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Wikipedia just published its article on the manosphere
Tuthmosis Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: Wikipedia just published its article on the manosphere
(06-02-2014 04:26 PM)MikeCF Wrote:  I'll briefly come out of lurk mode to address that.

[Image: mission-accomplished-o.gif]

I'm not denying that Roissy made contributions. As far as I can tell, I'd attribute hamster to him as well--for instance. But your reading of what the Manosphere is is considerably narrower than how I, and many others, would define it. The Manosphere is more than just this particular corner of the web, especially between such a fixed period of time. The era of the DC Crew (Roissy, Roosh, et al) ended in circa 2009 or 2010--having lasted three years, if that. That's when Roosh began to grow as an independent figure in the community and no longer constituted a unit with the rest of those DC guys.

So to say that the DC Crew, and Roissy's slice of it in particular, is the Manosphere is excessive. For one, the "game" community was as instrumental--in not more so--for spreading it the masses. Loath as we can be to admit it, guys like Mystery and Style (and their less-famous products) were key to Game 1.0, and to the true foundation of the Manosphere. The fact that Roissy inspired you to write doesn't mean he inspired all of the dozens of commentators and contributors around the web.

I read Roissy all through his prime years and into his transition to the "Chateau Heartiste" avatar. His commentary was astute for a time, but he never struck me as foundational.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter
06-02-2014 04:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Tuthmosis's post:
Truth Teller, TonySandos, Devilton

Messages In This Thread
RE: Wikipedia just published its article on the manosphere - Tuthmosis - 06-02-2014 04:53 PM