Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Style Clothing and style for tropical weather.
MongolianAbroad Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Clothing and style for tropical weather.
Philippines:

Black or grey cotton v neck, a pair of properly fitting jeans, a leather belt, and some comfortable walking shoes. Nice shorts can fly if you're fit, but if you're not, avoid them as they evoke the image of the fat old dude in the Hawaiian shirt, shorts, and sandals that's endemic to the region.

I strongly caution against running shoes, since the terrain here, even in the city, tends to be three-dimensional, with random angles jutting out of the pavement regularly. Running shoes have a tendency to "give" when your foot lands on terrain on which the horizontal axis has shifted. Landing on this terrain shifts your weight from the sole to the wall of the shoe, and you could end up twisting an ankle if the support isn't there. Those shoes are great for running in American cities, but here, not so much.

I also strongly caution against wearing heavy boots here. If you walk around in the day, the humidity, the distances traveled, and the blazing sun add up to a sore pair of feet by the end of the day.

The boat shoes, it just depends on how much walking you'll be doing in them. If they're a perfect fit, you might be able to pull it off, but if they're even a little bit off in fit, you'll have blisters pretty soon from all the walking here (I walk about 5 miles a day exploring here and there).

If you're not walking around, then some of this may not apply as much. In the end, I say go with comfort, but not to the extreme of a backpacker or a pensioner.
(This post was last modified: 05-31-2014 04:17 AM by MongolianAbroad.)
05-31-2014 04:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Clothing and style for tropical weather. - MongolianAbroad - 05-31-2014 04:16 AM