Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Volunteering in the Peace Corps: A Datasheet
bucky Online
Kingfisher

RE: Volunteering in the Peace Corps: A Datasheet
(07-31-2019 10:45 PM)Kelent Wrote:  
(01-22-2015 09:01 AM)Chunnel Wrote:  
(01-19-2015 01:01 PM)Osiris Wrote:  
(01-18-2015 09:35 PM)Sebastian Wrote:  To me, their application thing sounds disgusting. You are not applying for a paid position at the organization. You just want to volunteer. (meaning you want to work for free) They should just say 'you want to help? then come on in' (if you meet basic criteria)
Instead, they treat you like job applicants??

I am guessing there are too many well privileged people who want to do some getaway?
(one of the picture trends on match.com is a white girl with african kids)

They want to weed out people who would use their program as an escape and not fulfill their 2 year term.

This...

You gotta screen candidates so you don't have every Tom, Dick, and Harry running around the world giving the US and the Peace Corps organization a bad name.

Nowadays, just to give an update, the application process allows you to choose your own nation of service as well as sector. I have not yet served, but its crossed my mind many times as an option. Two years of my young life helping people, defer my loans, put 5k down on them after I end service. Ideally serve either in Eastern Europe or China, after that go on and do whatever it is I feel I can to make a good life for myself. I think one benefit in my case is that my loans arent *that* out of control, if I had a good job stateside I could probably kill them in 2-3 years of $1,000/mo payments.. but then what job at 23 other than tech gives you the ability to do that? I figure PC would be a lot more rewarding, and reading about how people with disabilities have been given the chance to serve leaves me hopeful that my impairments wont hinder me.

I'd say do it. I went in in my early 30s because I felt burned out in corporate America and had always wanted to learn Russian. Most of the other volunteers were fresh out of college. The scene was very leftist and feminist fifteen years ago, and I imagine it's gotten worse, but if you can keep your views to yourself or at least away from you colleagues, it's a good way to get in a few years overseas.

Feminism in ten words: "Stop objectifying women! Can't you see I've hit the wall?" -Leonard D Neubache
08-04-2019 12:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Volunteering in the Peace Corps: A Datasheet - bucky - 08-04-2019 12:01 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Has anybody joined the Peace Corps? floridaboiii 24 8,709 05-13-2019 04:12 PM
Last Post: floridaboiii
  Volunteering in your community Roosh 40 11,451 06-27-2018 01:53 PM
Last Post: ChicagoFire
  It's Healthier for Your Work Ethic and Peace of Mind to Stay off Social Media KorbenDallas 49 19,985 11-29-2017 07:58 AM
Last Post: Merengues