Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
StrikeBack Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
(04-14-2015 05:37 PM)kbell Wrote:  What is the proper order to put the weight down? Hips first than legs? Also how do you maintain the posture lowering the weight as well?

Good question, in fact I was going to address this specifically with a post. I've recently fixed a few guys' deadlifts simply by teaching them how to put the bar down properly.

Here's a video of a friend of mine, he taught me how to put the bar down at first:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otGMD-U2QA4 (that's 605lb x5)

The simplest explanation is (which should've gone into my lift-off post above):

Find a spot to look at (up or down - personal preference, as long as your spine is neutral) and keep looking at it while you lift the bar up, or when you put the bar down. This tends to take care of everything.

If you want to understand more, here's a lengthy one.

The common mistake I've seen and fixed recently at my club was guys dropping the bar down hard after each rep, by dropping their chest and letting the bar free fall. See the last rep in the above video as an example, although that's the last rep so it's OK, but if you do that every rep, you will keep fucking up your starting position little by little. This is because by doing so, you will lose back tension and arm tension - all the good stuff you worked hard to build during the setup - and have introduced a lot of slack into the next rep.

You really do not need to bend your neck and drop your chest to look down to see the bar, either during the setup or lowering the bar after a rep. The ground is always in the same position, and the bar is always at the same height, don't worry! Just a little glance down with your eyes is good enough during setup, and during lowering phase, you don't need to look at all.

While staring at the spot with laser beam eyes, unlock the hips and knees to descend, keep the same tension on your arms and back like during the setup (most important), bring the bar down by lowering your hips then letting the bar go slightly around your knees (if they're in the way). Place the bar on the ground with control, not a free fall. This doesn't have to be slow (as seen in the above video).

StrikeBack's Wife School
04-15-2015 07:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like StrikeBack's post:
Thoroughbred, kbell

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic - StrikeBack - 04-15-2015 07:14 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic StrikeBack 85 40,981 03-28-2019 10:24 AM
Last Post: Kieran
  The Big 3 Routine (Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press Only Workout) Flint 30 17,478 03-16-2016 10:46 AM
Last Post: ScrapperTL
  My last deadlift Spike 103 38,815 04-25-2015 02:47 PM
Last Post: birdie num num