I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
(04-15-2015 04:06 AM)H1N1 Wrote:  
(04-14-2015 05:48 PM)Fortis Wrote:  What are some good resources on learning the Hook grip properly? I used to do supine one hand and pronated other hand but I don't want to cause muscle imbalances. My dead lift is stalling at 2x because I've been doing double overhead grip instead of the mixed grip.

Thanks man

Personal opinion: get straps, they cost about $7 for a pair, and continue to lift double overhand. The hook grip is a pretty technical grip, that hurts like hell, and requires a significant time investment to master (Assuming you have no competitive goals as a strength athlete). If you do want to compete in powerlifting, then it is skill training and you should absolutely do it. If you just want to keep building a big, strong back, get straps and keep pushing on.

I intend to cover the hook grip in details very soon.

I personally introduced the hook grip to my powerlifting club (and a few other clubs around Australia). I learned it in person from the best and most famous hook-grip deadlifter of all: Brad Gillingham (and his protége, when they were down here for a competition). It takes an average of 2-6 weeks to convert to the hook grip (like every tip I'm posting in this thread) although novices-intermediates tend to take just 2-3 weeks (the heavier you're already lifting, the harder it is to switch) and the longest case was a guy who already pulled over 4xBW. Most people learn it wrong, which is why their thumbs hurt like a bitch.

I have very soft fingers and thumbs (growing up playing classical piano). My fingers and thumbs can bend the other way by a lot. It took me 4 weeks. I have coached small girls (52kg - 63kg weight classes i.e 115lb - 137lb) to hook grip, and they're now pulling over 220lb for reps with it.

There's nothing particularly wrong with straps if you're not a powerlifter, but since learning the hook grip is relatively easy, I can't see a reason why not. In fact, using straps is an important part of training the deadlift if you're a hook gripper, due to certain inherent weaknesses of the grip.

Anyway, I'll cover this in a lot of details next time.

StrikeBack's Wife School
04-15-2015 07:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrikeBack's post:
H1N1

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic - StrikeBack - 04-15-2015 07:38 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic StrikeBack 85 39,180 03-28-2019 10:24 AM
Last Post: Kieran
  The Big 3 Routine (Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press Only Workout) Flint 30 16,435 03-16-2016 10:46 AM
Last Post: ScrapperTL
  My last deadlift Spike 103 37,468 04-25-2015 02:47 PM
Last Post: birdie num num