I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
H1N1 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
(04-17-2015 03:31 PM)Fortis Wrote:  Hey Strike and H1N1,

I will grab a pair of straps. Question about straps, though. Someone told me that using straps allow you to lift heavier than your grip would naturally allow which can be a bad thing. Is this true or just broscience?

Thanks,

Fortis

My own view, as with all these threads, is that it depends on your goals. I use the deadlift to build my back/glutes/hamstrings, not to train my grip. I do separate grip work for that. Since I am not a competitive lifter, my goal is to use the lift to build the posterior chain and increase the amount of weight those muscles can handle (and to build them).

If grip is the limiting factor, then the deadlift becomes primarily a grip exercise. Given the size of the muscles involved, that seems incredibly inefficient to me, from a non-competitive lifters point of view.

For the record, Strikeback and Crashbangwallop (and probably many others) are much more accomplished in strength training than I am. My training is and always has been extremely hybrid in nature, I don't have anything like their depth of experience.
04-17-2015 05:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes H1N1's post:
Fortis

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic - H1N1 - 04-17-2015 05:14 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic StrikeBack 85 39,164 03-28-2019 10:24 AM
Last Post: Kieran
  The Big 3 Routine (Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press Only Workout) Flint 30 16,423 03-16-2016 10:46 AM
Last Post: ScrapperTL
  My last deadlift Spike 103 37,435 04-25-2015 02:47 PM
Last Post: birdie num num