I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
flanders Offline
Recovering Beta

RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
(05-23-2018 07:28 AM)Arado Wrote:  
(06-15-2017 12:35 AM)dro323 Wrote:  After about 2 years now I've finally noticed the correlation between me doing deadlifts/squats & me having a horrible pain from my lower back all the way down my left leg. (sciatic nerve)

No more deadlifts /squats for me.

What other exercises do y'all recommend I begin to slowly implement that will work the muscles that deadlifts /squats work?

What are the best alternative exercises? I just haven't been able to get the form right.

Dro: Not sure how I missed this one. There are a lot of things you could try.

Have you tried widening your stance?

Mobility work might stop sciatic pain dead in its tracks. Cossack squats (youtube this) are useful mobility.

It's really hard to say from here. I think foam rolling is pretty gay but it might help you out.

You could try some unilateral stuff. Bulgarian split squats, weighted step ups .... hesitate to recommend lunges but possibly lunges, just don't do the BB variety, put dumbbells in your hands so you can dump the weight and not snap your shit up.

You might find that moderately heavy sandbag bear-hug style squats fixes your problem.

And you could just skip leg day except for some bodyweight squats (with dumbbells or weighted vest if you feel like it, in rep ranges of like 5x15 or 1x50+) and hit upper body with a vengeance. Chicks don't really care what your legs look like.

Arado: Drop weight, mass reps, every day? If you have no reason to not do something other than you suck at it then maybe just try to do it more often and get better at it.
(This post was last modified: 05-23-2018 10:11 PM by flanders.)
05-23-2018 10:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic - flanders - 05-23-2018 10:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic StrikeBack 85 39,186 03-28-2019 10:24 AM
Last Post: Kieran
  The Big 3 Routine (Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press Only Workout) Flint 30 16,439 03-16-2016 10:46 AM
Last Post: ScrapperTL
  My last deadlift Spike 103 37,473 04-25-2015 02:47 PM
Last Post: birdie num num