I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic
Your shoulders are only relaxed when you're setting up and getting into position before you start pulling. It is so that your arms are as long as possible, and makes it easier to get into a good position. They're not relaxing and rolling forward, they're relaxing down. People who have too tight shoulders at the start only end up pulling with their arms or upper back, and get very little from the rest of the body.

To understand and practice what I'm talking about, try this. Pick up 2x kettlebells (around 24kg each will do) at the gym, stand up straight. While standing there, flex your lats (don't worry about your shoulder blades) while letting your shoulders be dragged straight down by the weight of the kettlebells. It's also similar to what your back and shoulders would naturally do if you were to do a farmer's walks.

At the start of the deadlift, right before you start driving the bar off the ground, you want your shoulders and back to feel like that.

Quote:Pull your shoulder blades together when you pull.

This will last precisely 0.005s when you pull a heavy deadlift. You can only do that with the kind of weights used for a barbell row. Take a look at the upper back of lifters in their competition deadlift (the youtube IPF channel is good for hours upon hours of viewing), you will never see this.

StrikeBack's Wife School
06-05-2018 02:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrikeBack's post:
sterling_archer

Messages In This Thread
RE: The "Do You Even Deadlift" Clinic - StrikeBack - 06-05-2018 02:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The "Squat Like A Boss" clinic StrikeBack 85 39,201 03-28-2019 10:24 AM
Last Post: Kieran
  The Big 3 Routine (Squat, Deadlift, Bench Press Only Workout) Flint 30 16,451 03-16-2016 10:46 AM
Last Post: ScrapperTL
  My last deadlift Spike 103 37,490 04-25-2015 02:47 PM
Last Post: birdie num num