Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest
Quintus Curtius Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest
(01-21-2016 03:06 PM)not_dead_yet Wrote:  
(01-21-2016 12:16 PM)RoastBeefCurtains4Me Wrote:  Math is hard.

I can't believe I have to be the first to point this out. The article says that by these 62 people having wealth equal to the lower half of the world's population, they have half the world's wealth.

I hope everybody who takes a second to think about this sees the problem.

The lower half of the world's population has extremely little wealth (ie. Net Worth). I would estimate without looking it up that the lower half probably has about 5% of the world's wealth. Therefore these 62 people together have about 5% of the world's wealth. That's still a lot, but it is a full order of magnitude less than the 50% the article claims. This is pure SJW bullshit.

Ha ha. Joke's on you. The richest 80 people in the world actually have about 0.7% of the world's wealth.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/29/upshot...verty.html

Yeah, all you Lenin-quoting losers, that's less than 1%. Power to my pee-pee.

The very article that you refer to here disproves your statement. Your article says that:

"Yes, the rich are exceedingly well off. And globally, wealth is extremely concentrated. The world’s 35 million millionaires collectively hold a huge 44 percent of global wealth. The world’s richest 1 percent — including the very richest — hold 48 percent of the globe’s wealth. But the world’s richest 80 people hold only a tiny sliver of this 48 percent."

Does it really matter whether we're talking about 1%, .7%, or some other minuscule percent? Isn't the point here that wealth is massively concentrated, more than ever before?

This is what your article conveniently omits. The fact that wealth distribution has been getting more and more concentrated in the hands of fewer and fewer.

Are you really trying to say that there is not massive income inequality in the US now, more than ever before?

This is what is dangerous for societies, and this is what history proves. Do you think it's a good thing living in society with no middle class? Where the rich feast on lobster, while the poor root in garbage bins?

Some people need a reality check.

Consider this article, which is a detailed study on the issue by the Institute for Policy Studies:

http://www.ips-dc.org/billionaire-bonanza/

It very clearly shows where the trend lines are here. Reasonable people can quibble over which precise percentage point is here or there, but to deny that there is massive and dangerous income inequality in the US is simply to deny reality.

| qcurtius.com | Twitter
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2016 03:31 PM by Quintus Curtius.)
01-21-2016 03:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Quintus Curtius's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, YoungAngel1

Messages In This Thread
RE: - zero1 - 01-21-2016, 07:33 PM
! - DjembaDjemba - 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: Global wealth inequality - poutsara - 01-21-2016, 11:24 PM
RE: Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest - Quintus Curtius - 01-21-2016 03:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | RooshV.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication