Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest
Veloce Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest
(01-21-2016 03:51 PM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  I think you're missing the point that I'm trying to make here. You're basically saying that things are the way they are, and we should just accept it.

Let people be consumers!

Let them eat cake!

I get the argument.

Of course I don't expect all poor people to spend their money on fine cultural things.

That isn't the point.

The point is that it is in all of our interests--not just the bottom of the economic rung--to have a society based on justice and equal opportunity.

When you have a society where the rich control everything, then it is inevitable that they are going to enact policies that favor themselves.

The middle class will become eroded or will disappear. Public schools will begin to turn to shit (like they are now). Decent health care will become more and more expensive, and closed out to many.

For our own selfish reasons--if for no other reason--we should want to live in a society where people at least have the chance to improve themselves.

It's in all of our interests to prevent unnatural concentrations of wealth and power.

Equality of opportunity is all I think a society can reasonably expect.

Not to do this is allowing society to go down a very dangerous path.

But therein lies the issue: What to do about it?

Because with the oppressive monarchy, there is only one way: revolt.

In a way, that's the easier solution, because during those times in history you had the discontent of the populace to fuel the fires of revolution.

That isn't the case today. Do you propose taxing the ever-loving shit out of the top 1%? That's what led to tax havens in the first place.

The only solution that I can see is some sort of awakening, a Renaissance of the common man that inspires him to reject the buffet of greed and consumerism in front of him and pursue a life of independence and self-sufficiency. That's the only way I can see any diminishing of the insane concentration of wealth and power at the top.

I'm not exactly holding my breath.

"...so I gave her an STD, and she STILL wanted to bang me."

TEAM NO APPS

TEAM PINK
01-21-2016 04:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Veloce's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, Quintus Curtius, germanico, Ocelot

Messages In This Thread
RE: - zero1 - 01-21-2016, 07:33 PM
! - DjembaDjemba - 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest - Veloce - 01-21-2016 04:00 PM
RE: Global wealth inequality - poutsara - 01-21-2016, 11:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | RooshV.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication