Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest
Phoenix Offline
Banned

RE: Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest
(01-21-2016 12:06 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  The only thing I want to know is how to safely dodge taxes.

If these fat cats can get away with evading millions and millions of tax liability every year, there has got to be away I can hang onto an extra $500-$1000 a month.

Not that I need it, but it would be awfully nice to take home more of what I make like these assholes do.

I've heard for Americans that opening a business in Puerto Rico is the key. Very low taxes there. Obviously the caveat is you have to be big enough to turn your work into a full-sized business and structure it so "your services are technically being provided in Puerto Rico". That's clearly easier for soft work like financial advisers, and tougher for hard work like construction.

(01-21-2016 11:56 AM)Quintus Curtius Wrote:  The reason why this is important, and the reason why we should care, is because excessive concentrations of wealth in a society destabilize that society.

It threatens republican democratic institutions by producing plutocratic oligarchies, rather than governments which are run with the interests of the public at heart.

I think you have the cart before the horse. Also using the passive tense of "which are run" is avoiding the question: who runs them?

Humans are a hierarchical species. This follows two facts: humans are social, and not all humans are equally strong.

Democracies degenerate into high-time-preference plutocracies for a simple reason: a voter has a 1/200,000,000th input of power every 4 years. I.e. zero. A lobbyist has a much weightier input of power, continuously. Therefore, the vote means almost nothing, and pre-existing power (be it through connections within the political class or purchases of that power via the lobbyists) is everything. Democracy is the Big Lie, and no one will tell it louder than the political class who's livelihood depends on it.

Democracy creates a looting machine. A constant froth of money for power. And there is no constancy, no permanence in any one mans power -- so he must loot all he can while he has it. The lower class fulfill their role, accepting the loot in exchange for masses of votes. The upper class get behind the machine, directing its looting away from them and onto others. This takes well-known forms: on the one hand getting more inflated government contracts and favourable regulations to increase gains; and on the other hand more tax loop holes to reduce losses. That just leaves one group: the middle class, who are effectively reduced to national serfs.

There are no angels who "run government". Government, that group of political elite, run themselves. The manner by which they do, and who comprises that elite, is what we call: constitution. And that constitution needs less democracy.

(01-21-2016 08:19 PM)Brodiaga Wrote:  I'm talking about the general idea which is to tax excessive wealth and avoid excessive concentration of wealth in the hands of the elite.

Theft is theft. Bandits always "tax excessive wealth". There's no point robbing poor people. That's why they love robbing that quintessential place of "excessive concentration of wealth" -- the bank. What is needed is less antisocial behaviour in society, not more.
(This post was last modified: 01-21-2016 09:53 PM by Phoenix.)
01-21-2016 09:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Phoenix's post:
Belgrano, Handsome Creepy Eel

Messages In This Thread
RE: - zero1 - 01-21-2016, 07:33 PM
! - DjembaDjemba - 01-21-2016, 12:11 PM
RE: Global wealth inequality - poutsara - 01-21-2016, 11:24 PM
RE: Global wealth inequality- 62 people are now as wealthy as world's 3,6 billion poorest - Phoenix - 01-21-2016 09:44 PM