Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Bad thoughts during heavy squats
forever_beta Offline
Sparrow
Gold Member

RE: Bad thoughts during heavy squats
I've started getting inklings of these kinds of thoughts when I approach the bar as the weight gets heavier. Once I get under the bar somehow I just clear my head of all thought and just go and perform the squat. I think its a muscle memory kind of thing. Once under the bar, thought ceases and all mental energy is directed at completing the lift.

You can also try to work through this logically. First, do you have the safety bars setup in the rack? If worst case you're unable to complete the lift, you know how to get out of the squat so there really is little risk. Also linear progression helps. I did 245 pounds for my sets and reps 2 days ago so how could 250 kill me now?

Headphones with good music helps too. Sometimes my gym plays horrible annoying music and I find it distracting and fucking up my mental flow under the bar.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 06:58 PM by forever_beta.)
09-17-2016 06:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes forever_beta's post:
ElFlaco

Messages In This Thread
RE: Bad thoughts during heavy squats - forever_beta - 09-17-2016 06:51 PM