Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Morbidly obese. Desperate for advice on where to start.
SamuelBRoberts Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Morbidly obese. Desperate for advice on where to start.
Not happy about the guy who posted the potato diet. Giving fad diets to people who are in serious need of help is lame behavior. Also, a Brazilian Ju Jitsu academy for a guy who's topped 300 pounds?

Anyway...

There's nothing wrong with coming to people for help. That's what we're here for.

A few thoughts that may or may not be helpful. I'm going to start with the assumption that you've been putting a good faith effort into diet and exercise, and you don't need somebody telling you "Diet and exercise harder!"

1.) You almost certainly have sleep apnea. Any time a guy is 300 lbs or more, he usually does. Do you have a lot of headaches, particularly in the morning? You've got insomnia, right? These are symptoms of sleep apnea, which is a huge cause of weight gain. Put simply, you're so fat that your body is choking itself to death while you sleep. You're constantly waking up and going back to sleep, sometimes 90 times an hour. Sleep apnea will fuck up anything but the most determined dieter because the lack of sleep ruins your body's ability to regulate hunger. A guy who's got bad sleep apnea can eat an entire pizza and feel HUNGRIER than when he started. Does that sound like you? You need to look into this, and fast, because it will fucking kill you eventually. This is the first thing I would check. The Japanese for it is 睡眠時無呼吸症候群 (suiminji mukokyuu shoukougun). Here's a list of sleep apnea clinics in Japan I just pulled off the net. You can look here. This problem is fixable, and it will improve your life in so many ways. America's medical community is much more advanced in this particular area than Japan, mostly because we've got more fat people, I think, but Japan does have resources for it. There's tons of them in Tokyo, and in every major city.

2.) The second issue is a lifestyle one. The big reason people lose weight when they go to Japan is not that the food is healthier, but because it's a walking based society as opposed to a car-based society. This means that just going about your day, you're burning far more calories and keeping your metabolism up. If you want to get food at a place that's a half-mile away, that's 30 minutes of walking there and back. If you need a special computer part from Akihabara, that can be 2 hours or more. Are you ordering demae all day when you should be going out? Doing takuhai instead of going to the store, buying something, and taking it back? Or are you maybe in the ass-end of Tottori or something where you have to drive a car to get anywhere?

3.) The third and most likely: you sound like you have major depression, and have been using alcohol and food to self-medicate. You mentioned being in your late 30s, not getting laid, and wanting an English-speaking therapist, which implies to me that you feel like you'd have trouble communicating your thoughts in Japanese. You also mentioned an alcohol addiction before that. This makes me think that you're just not adapting well to Japan. Some people do, and some people don't, and it's not due to lack of trying. It can be an incredibly isolating place. How is your social situation there? Do you get along with the people at work? Do you have a lot of friends? If not, would things improve at all if you tried coming back to the US? I know it's a big jump, but you sound like you're absolutely miserable, and things seem to be only going downhill. It might be time for drastic measures. Even if you've been here for a long time, could it really be worse?
(This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 02:35 PM by SamuelBRoberts.)
05-07-2017 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like SamuelBRoberts's post:
debeguiled, Transsimian, etwsake, Kangaroo, FilipSRB, arafat scarf, Gmac

Messages In This Thread
RE: Morbidly obese. Desperate for advice on where to start. - SamuelBRoberts - 05-07-2017 02:34 PM