Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Morbidly obese. Desperate for advice on where to start.
SamuelBRoberts Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Morbidly obese. Desperate for advice on where to start.
(06-23-2017 12:43 PM)TheMost Wrote:  
(06-22-2017 04:57 AM)SamuelBRoberts Wrote:  (Also, "Eat nothing but potatoes! Forever!" to a guy who's got god-knows-what serious health issues is borderline malignant. I'm glad the potato diet worked for you. It won't work for most people, and it CERTAINLY won't work for a guy like this. His system is stressed, overloaded, and miserable, and depriving it of a shit ton of nutrients is an atrocious idea. The man needs a balanced diet. He needs to fix his underlying issues more than anything, but once he does he needs a reasonable, balanced diet.)

Noone said to eat anything but potatoes forever. The potato diet is a time-limited temporary intervention. Even doing it as little as 3 days at a time, you rapidly drop weight without you feeling hungry or dizzy. At his weight, the best thing for him is some rapid weight loss so he can be encouraged by his progress, and get to a point where he can exercise without hurting his joints.

The potato diet works for most people that try it; and he is a prime candidate.

When I need to drop 5 pounds, I go on the potato diet for a week, then I'm good for quite a while afterward. This is solid fat loss, not water weight.

More information here:

https://vegetablepharm.blogspot.ca/p/the...et_14.html

I'll take your word that it works for short-term weight loss. For a long term treatment for a morbidly obese man with a history of failed diets, and again, god knows what health problems, it's atrocious advice. A potato is not nutritionally complete. And the idea that he'll lose a few pounds with a potato diet, somehow not rebound even though his cravings have gotten a hundred times stronger due to a lack of anything but bland potatoes, and from there, somehow transition into a stable lifestyle and good eating an exercise habits, is just ludicrous.

Obesity is the biggest health problem in the United States, and the entire western world, and it's a scandal how little good research is being done on it. AIDS, which can be avoided by simply not having gay sex, gets billions of dollars, and nutritional science is stuck in the same place it was in the 1920s, or even further behind if you read some of the work that was being done then. Instead of real knowledge and real treatments we get crap like "Diet harder!" or "Eat only potatoes!" According to some studies I've seen, the success rate for this kind of advice, over the long term, is 7 freaking percent.

For what it's worth, here is a diagram about the central nervous system and hormonal differences between healthy adults and the morbidly obese when it comes to appetite and hunger regulation.

[Image: DMM026609supp.jpg]

Does this look like something that can be cured by a couple weeks of eating tubers?
06-23-2017 04:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like SamuelBRoberts's post:
Kangaroo, Transsimian

Messages In This Thread
RE: Morbidly obese. Desperate for advice on where to start. - SamuelBRoberts - 06-23-2017 04:25 PM