Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017
Rush87 Offline
Ostrich

RE: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017
(08-12-2017 08:34 AM)Fortis Wrote:  Rush, not sure where you're getting "Conor is going to change the face of boxing" from "Conor knocked down a retired boxer who admitted to taking a training camp with Conor's team last minute."

This would be like me saying boxing is instantly the best combat sport simply because I am able to find footage of a boxer knocking some Jiujitsu guy to the ground in a sparring match.

That was like a 10-second clip. Anyone can take a 10 second video of some guy going hard on someone else. Just watch any video montage of any fighter. That's what a hype reel is all about. Highlighting their best punches, jukes and dodges in a vacuum. We don't know what happened in the rest of those sparring matches.

All that said, they are selling the fuck out of this fight.

Of course it's hype, but from the get go, this fight has been labelled a joke, and you have 'experts' like Kellerman suggesting Conor "Won't even land a punch". This is the general consensus from the boxing establishment.

What it shows, more than anything else is an unbelievable ignorance towards the sport of MMA. I have boxed since I was 8. I got into MMA at the age of 20. All amateur, all primarily for fun and fitness but I know what goes into a camp for an elite boxer versus an elite MMA fighter.

Growing up I trained out of Kostya Tszyu's gym while he was still competing, and most recently out of James Te Huna's gym in Aus whilst he was still in competition and I say this only to say that the MSM and boxing establishment really have no idea what goes into a typical MMA camp.

The cross over between the two is huge. First and foremost, an elite MMA fighter, especially someone who has been boxing since age 12 [Conor] will be doing around half the amount of pure boxing training that a boxer does [And his total hours of pure boxing training would rival later starters such as Jeff Horn].

On top of this you have secondary disciplines such as: Kick boxing and Muay Thai which also have the same fundamentals as boxing. Yes stance is different, but motor skills all cross over. Finally you have the conditioning. This includes your reflex training, cardio and weights. All very similar if not identical in some cases.

Now, I've never said Conor will change the face of boxing what I've said, is that it takes an outside force to change a sport, and boxing has stagnated for over 30 years.

In no other sport has there been such little evolution, and having been involved in boxing and MMA, I know first hand that it's because the boxing establishment do exactly what they're doing with this fight: They block their ears and pretend their sport is perfect. They can't even entertain the notion that they could learn a thing or two from another sport.

To steal a thought from Henry Ford by way of Robin Black [One of the best combat sports analysts today who I would highly recommend anyone to check out]: "None of our men are 'experts.' We have most unfortunately found it necessary to get rid of a man as soon as he thinks himself an expert because no one ever considers himself expert if he really knows his job. A man who knows a job sees so much more to be done than he has done, that he is always pressing forward and never gives up an instant of thought to how good and how efficient he is. Thinking always ahead, thinking always of trying to do more, brings a state of mind in which nothing is impossible. The moment one gets into the 'expert' state of mind a great number of things become impossible.”

When I say that Conor can redefine boxing, I don't say that he can beat Floyd, in fact in every post I've made, I outline clearly that I think he has a 1% chance, but there are things he does better than boxers:

1.) Technically he throws a better straight left than most southpaw boxers. Period. He has no wasted movement and power through the hips. Due to the way most boxers train - I.E: Like a 5km runner, they tend to use their shoulders to generate a lot of their power. This is inefficient. [See any footage of Robert Guerrero's straight left vs Conor. The difference is night and day].

2.) He doesn't swarm when a fighter's cornered unlike most boxers. When you do so, yes you may land, but you also leave big openings for an opponent to escape. Conor however, has adapted to the octagon where it is harder to cut someone off. As a result, when he corners someone, he maintains distance to keep them cornered and snipers off singular, heavier strikes whilst 'steering' with his right. This is an example of where the boxing consensus on 'what's best' hasn't been challenged.

3.) Clinch work. His clinch work, another crossover area into MMA is better than any boxer. Period. It's not even debatable. There is a lot boxers can learn about head steering [What we just saw with Paulie getting knocked down], time management and weighing on an opponent. Things that would have dramatically helped Maidana for instance [But if you listen to his coach - He's yet another guy who dismisses what MMA has to offer].

There are plenty of other examples, but unfortunately once Floyd wins, which is most likely, this whole fight will be brushed off as a joke and boxing will continue down the same path with zero evolution.
(This post was last modified: 08-12-2017 05:19 PM by Rush87.)
08-12-2017 05:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like Rush87's post:
weambulance, raveking, king bast, Jvramerys, Fortis, Renzy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017 - Rush87 - 08-12-2017 05:02 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Money Mayweather Outside The Ring JayMillz 14 5,600 02-14-2019 11:04 AM
Last Post: Graft
  Floyd Mayweather: Boxer to fight kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in Japan wellrockthecity 45 5,690 01-04-2019 01:24 AM
Last Post: Trumpian
Brick Roosh Hour #19 - August 26, 2018 at 1PM Roosh 10 2,128 08-28-2018 10:46 PM
Last Post: fokker