Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017
booshala Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

RE: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017
(08-25-2017 02:14 PM)Fortis Wrote:  
(08-25-2017 01:52 PM)Roosh Wrote:  
Quote:There is no reason for Floyd to take a dive.

Except to set up an insanely lucrative rematch.

Match 1: Floyd loses
Match 2: Conor loses
Match 3: Billion dollar purse

It's possible, but not entirely plausible given how much Floyd looks up to Marciano and wants to break his record for the most consecutive wins in boxing history.

If Floyd wasn't undefeated I'd buy that line of thinking, but with a perfect record on the line, I'm not sure he'd be willing to lose to an amateur like that.

I have to hand it to Connor Mcgregor for his puppetmastery skills. He really is in a no-lose situation (minus of course the actual fight outcome). He makes a good showing, and there's definitely a possibility of a rematch for even bigger money. He gets his ass whupped and he'll have every UFC apologist in the world claiming, "he's not a boxer, let's get an MMA match". If he wins, well... St. Paddy's in August.

The fact that Mayweather even took this fight shows how much he loves money but I believe a win aligns way better with his interests than a fixed loss. Plus, his pride and desire to be immortalized with a 50-0 record only sweetens the pot. I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that his entire boxing legacy would quickly disintegrate after a loss to Mcgregor. Endorsements would dry up, Mayweather promotions would be tainted by the stink of such a colossal failure and he'd likely be declared pugilista non grata by all of the people who matter in boxing. Also imagine how much glee his long-time haters would revel in if he lost? Shiet, that's motivation enough right there not to lose.

And if he got caught fixing the fight? Say goodbye to everything: the huge purse, the PPV money, the respect, the now vacated record, undoubtedly more jail time. In light of all these possible scenarios, taking a dive just doesn't add up - there's way too many downsides with risk of absolute ruin vs. punching the lights out of Connor and walking away with a guaranteed $200M+ for one fight.
08-25-2017 03:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like booshala's post:
Fortis, CaptainChardonnay, SamuelBRoberts

Messages In This Thread
RE: Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor is August 26th 2017 - booshala - 08-25-2017 03:00 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Money Mayweather Outside The Ring JayMillz 14 5,589 02-14-2019 11:04 AM
Last Post: Graft
  Floyd Mayweather: Boxer to fight kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in Japan wellrockthecity 45 5,679 01-04-2019 01:24 AM
Last Post: Trumpian
Brick Roosh Hour #19 - August 26, 2018 at 1PM Roosh 10 2,118 08-28-2018 10:46 PM
Last Post: fokker