Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

$50k annual income from how much (and allocation) in investments?
Days of Broken Arrows Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: $50k annual income from how much (and allocation) in investments?
Look into high yielding closed end funds (CEFs) and buy them when the market is in a pullback.

A bunch of companies offer several funds each. There are the Nuveens, PIMCOs, MSF, Calamos, Invesco, and others. These funds have baskets of stocks that are professionally managed. They offer dividends that are 6-10 percent and sometimes more. Find ones that hold stocks you believe in.

If you buy when low, you can get profit and nice dividends, always a great combo.

Knowing when to sell is where the problem comes. Ideally, you want to sell on a high note and then wait for a drop, then re-invest. But, as you might expect, it's not so easy to predict the market. I ended up with far less profit than I wanted, because I have a habit of selling too soon. But the dividends were still great while they lasted.

Had I fully invested during the big pullback of January 2016, I'd have done really well with this method.

But our investment styles don't just reflect our intellect. They are an outgrowth of our personalities as well, sad to say. In my case, I was smart enough to know when to buy but too anxious, worried, and self-doubting to actually do it.

As such, I guess I'm the Woody Allen of investing, sans the hot, young Asian wife/stepdaughter. We all have our crosses to bear.
(This post was last modified: 03-05-2018 10:05 PM by Days of Broken Arrows.)
03-05-2018 10:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Days of Broken Arrows's post:

Messages In This Thread
RE: $50k annual income from how much (and allocation) in investments? - Days of Broken Arrows - 03-05-2018 10:04 PM