Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

The RVF worst-case-scenario survival/preparedness thread.
roberto Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

RE: The RVF worst-case-scenario survival/preparedness thread.
(01-14-2019 04:54 PM)Cuchulainn2016 Wrote:  5. Get armed. Just a reminder, I live in the UK. A lot of people seem to think you cant own guns in the UK, but you can. And you can get a lot more than you think, its just the waiting period is a year or more for a licence to actually own firearms. My part of the UK allows handguns also. I have a .45 1911, a 9mm Sig, and a .22 walther. In addition to that, and these are legal anywhere in the Uk, I have a Remington 700 bolt action, and an AR15 pattern .22. My .22 rifle is identical looking to any 5.56 AR15 (standard mags, fullsize ejection port, aimpoint scope and a foregrip). Some feral youths from the local council estate with a sawn-off and a couple of kitchen knifes would shit themselves when they see it! You can also get a AR15 in 5.56mm (or any other calibre, like .300blackout) with a straight pull ejection. That's basically a fast bolt action.

I take it you live somewhere in the UK but at the edge of UK jurisdiction, like the Isle of Man? Not sure where in the UK a .45 pistol is legal.

Whilst your advise is generally good, I fear you are painting a far rosier picture than the rest of us see. Firearms licensing in the UK is handled by local police forces, specifically a Firearms Licencing Officer, or FLO. What firearms you can obtain are entirely at his or her whim.

For instance, our local FLO absoloutely hates 'tactical' rifles. So even a .22 rimfire AR15 lookalike would be a no go here. With firearms, you have to prove to the police that you are of good character, have a requirement for the rifle in question, and have somewhere to shoot it. Whilst you may well be able to obtain a bolt action .22rf after a 6 month membership at a target club, there's no way in hell (round here at least) you're getting a .243 without a landowner allowing you on his land for pest control. Often you are limited to just that land for use of your rifle. An 'open ticket' (where you can shoot on any land) is hard to come by. Obviously less of an issue if SHTF.

If you apply to the FLO for any rifle, without a verificable history of being involved in countryside pest control, it's virtually certain that you will be turned down. You paint the picture of being able to obtain pretty much anything so long as you wait a year, and for mainland UK at least, that just isn't the case.

Instead, I would reccomend anyone in the UK gains a shotgun certificate. With these, the police have to find a reason to turn you down. So unless you have previous convictions, you just apply and tell them you've joined a clay pigeon club.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...
01-15-2019 03:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like roberto's post:
Leonard D Neubache, Matsufubu

Messages In This Thread
RE: The RVF worst-case-scenario survival/preparedness thread. - roberto - 01-15-2019 03:59 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Worst crime ever? Georgepl 36 3,599 08-26-2019 06:58 AM
Last Post: Lovinglife
  Survival TV Show: Alone Suits 198 88,907 08-15-2019 09:12 AM
Last Post: ChefAllDay
  The Worst PUA In All History (is from RSD) Dolo 20 16,645 03-25-2019 07:53 PM
Last Post: Alpone