Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Laner Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
A +1 from me Scotian. I also second the push for some of the young cats to read into this a lot more.

Like most Albertans I got a trade not far out of high school (Metal Fabrication). I worked pipelines for six months, hated it, but I had almost $60,000 to show. I never went back to the patch.

A few journeyman I worked with on the coast went up there and I talk to friends now and then about the work. Sometimes it gets tempting (after reading Scotians post for example) and other times I just cant bring myself to go back to that lifestyle.

But young guys getting in there now will lead to as much work and cash as you can manage. Even outside the patch, I was worked some jobs pulling in $700 a day and was back in my Vancouver condo every night. Not as common in the cities but jobs for $35 an hour are very common. The trades are nothing to ignore these days.

If you do go the trades route, make sure to plan for the future. You dont want to be a 40yo tradesmen. I worked with too many bent, broken and miserable men to want to do it forever.
01-23-2012 12:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Laner's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Druber

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Laner - 01-23-2012 12:16 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM