Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-23-2012 10:26 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  Sick data, like you said get ready to scrap if you go to a bar. My friend worked up there for the past 8months fought regularily and got into some BRAWLS. like 10 people involved etc.

Do they have any kind of science/biology related jobs up there, maybe chemistry? Something to do over the summer related to my degree.

Ya lots of fights at the bars, usually just fists but sometimes it gets uglier, the first time I went into club NV there, I saw four different chick fights in about an hour!

They definitely have jobs for all science students, here's an example:
http://www.suncor.com/en/careers/3783.aspx

There really is something up there for everyone, if you're up for the challenge, it isn't an easy place to live and work but the financial rewards is what makes it worthwhile.

I'll look more into the work visa situation, as I posted, I'd like to see a lot more Americans up there. It actually pisses me off, I"ll watch CNN or some American TV channel and they're all going on about how bad the economy is and there's no jobs stateside, then I switch channels to a Canadian station and they're going on about how they can't find workers for the oil sands projects. Then I'm at work and I have to deal with a bunch of Asian workers who can't speak English properly (no offence to Asians but this is a major safety issue on any industrial job site).

I"ll get that info later, but any American who comes up will need a clean criminal record and probably a skill too. One way to get up here is apply to work with a company that has OPS in the USA and oil sands, I posted some companies above.
01-24-2012 08:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-24-2012 08:28 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM