Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-25-2012 06:43 PM)Neo Wrote:  I'd be all over this is I had a trade. Growing up I wanted to be an electrician or mechanic, but of course I was brainwashed into the 'you have to go to college or you won't amount to anything' route. I could care less about living in a work camp or shitty conditions, I'd do it for the cash. I looked at some of the companies you posted and it still seems like they require some experience. If I could take courses for 6 months in a trade and it guaranteed me a job there I'd definitely go for it.

I graduated with a BA after 5 years of uni in 06', I worked at a call centre getting bitched at people whose cell phones were smarter than them, at $12/hr, I made $24G in 07' back east.

I took a chance and moved to Alberta with $1500 to my name took a 12 week pre-employment at a community college (look up Lethbridge college,SAIT,Red Deer College, NAIT, Keyano college).

08' grossed 65K- 10K in pension 2 months layoff AKA party! (remember when oil plunged big time?)
09' grossed 80- 13k in pension 3 weeks vacation (in the middle of the worst recession in decades, I couldn't get any more time off work we were so busy!)
10'(started working in Fort Mac) -grossed 120K 22K in pension 5 weeks off
11-Grossed around 135-140K, forget pension (25K?), 3 months off!

Guys those numbers are low, I took some easy low paying (good experience though) jobs for lifestyle reasons, I know many guys in Fort Mac who are MACHINES and work 24 on 4 off ALL YEAR (maybe 1 or 2 weeks off, max!), and gross 250-350K, power to those guys but I don't think its really worth it to work that much, I'd rather work 6 months and take my 100K then peace out!

Damn I'm giving you guys some handy intel here, I wonder how many will make the move?

I just hope that guys, especially Canadians, who think about moving out, or know someone who is interested, will do so, I'd love to work with more people who read forums like this and have similar interests and less meat heads like these guys (from the movie FUBAR):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iZqfzQmr...re=related (that plant is Syncrude, you can see the camp at 0:17)

"The workers comp hustle": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBAmItGEx...re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mceMfWmJp...re=related

Those videos accurately reflect the types of shit heads I work with on a regular basis!
01-26-2012 01:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-26-2012 01:05 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM