Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-26-2012 12:45 AM)pitt Wrote:  
(01-26-2012 12:18 AM)CJ Wrote:  First off, thanks for taking the time to post all that great information. I know a lot of members from this site will get a lot out of that.

Second, my background:

- I'm a US Citizen
- I've got a bachelor's degree in business & economics
- Most jobs I've taken since graduating (in 2006) have been labor intensive, however, none have been in a specific trade. I suppose the most relevant work I've done is some auditing for the auto industry.
- I presently work for an airline, so I could easily travel up there to 'check it out'

So, my question is, would I be qualified to get a blue collar job in the oil fields? If not, would my background possibly qualify me for a white collar job helping to run the business in the oil fields?

I'm curious as to what type of opportunity I'd have to make some serious money here. I doubt I'd spend an eternity up there, although it would be nice to be somewhere that appreciates hockey as much as I do. Course, I suppose I am in one of the two US cities that actually does like hockey, but our employment rate is atrocious, and I need better options.

Interesting background

You could join the health and safety field. Safety is mainly about auditing and inspecting areas, sites, scaffolders, tanks, etc

Because you have done auditing for the auto industry, that would qualify you as having experience.

There is this sunderland university ( in the UK) that runs a post graduation course online, with that degree in hands i think you could easily join the oil industry.

Pitt, good info man, safety is very fast growing industry, its huge in the oil sands, actually I find it a bit much when I have to do a half an hour of paper work and safety checks before I do a simple task that takes 20 seconds, but oh well, I'm paid by the hour!

For anyone looking into getting into safety, check out these to companies: http://www.hseintegrated.com/ and http://www.unitedsafety.net/

I know for a fact that these two companies hire inexperienced newbies off the street, probably $18-22/hour doing safety watch for confined space entry, gas monitoring in vessels, ensuring SCBA/SABA ensuring oxygen cylinders are full and maintained, etc.

Also, those other 2 I mention, clean harbors and and CEDA hire guys off the street.

Guys the bar is low here for workers, if you can pass a piss test, wake up at 5am and go to work, you've got it made. Take those 2 safety courses I wrote about above and call different companies, its not that complicated, this year will be THE BUSIEST in Fort Mac since the last boom.

CJ, you'll have to look more into the visa requirements, but our immigration system goes on points and with a uni degree and English language skills, you should be good to go. You don't necessarily have to work in Fort Mac either, lots of well paying office jobs in places like Edmonton and Calgary (which is home to over 30,000 expat Americans).

Try looking into multinational USA companies that have OPS in Canada.
01-26-2012 01:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-26-2012 01:21 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM