Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-28-2012 04:19 PM)metalhaze Wrote:  Thanks for the info Scotian, much appreciated.
However most of these jobs seem to require some sort of certification and 3-5 years of experience. do they train you on the job however? I guess it aint hard to get the certifications? I'm in my late 20s, live in montréal and have a degree in business...I'm sick of paying high taxes here but the lifestyle is so good and fun. What opportunities are there for me? I work in the banking sector as a project coordinator.

best

Check out the website of the major oil sands companies: Suncor, Syncrude, CNRL, Shell, Total, Statoil, MEG Energy, Cenovus, Husky, etc.

They all require financial types, there are some decent gigs up there like 7 days on 7 off, flights back to Edmonton or Calgary.

If you're looking for a career change and getting into the trades, there are MANY different options, not all require experience, the better one do though.

My advice to ANYONE would be to take an entry-level position at one of the various companies I listed above which DO NOT require ANY experience. Spend a couple of months out there, look around, see if you like it and go from there.

Once on site, if you have decent social skills and are a half decent worker, you can network, meet other people and go from there. As I've said many times in this thread, the bar is low, its not hard to impress potential employers and move onto something better, everyone does it!

Good luck!
01-28-2012 06:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-28-2012 06:07 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM