Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-28-2012 06:33 PM)metalhaze Wrote:  thanks scotian. I would guess you mean entry positions in the camps in fort McMurray which would lead to better pay.
btw I also noticed that not all positions provide housing on camps. seems that rent in F. mcmurray is insanely high.

btw what about entry office position such as administrative assitant ? (I'm overqualified)
like this one (I've seen similar admin assistant position for most big oil companies in calgary and in F. mcmurray)
http://www.statoil.com/en/Careers/JobOpp...49114.aspx

Peace!

Yes that looks like a decent gig and a perfect example of a job for a guy like you who has a business background, start there and move up, QUICK! Trust me, I can't stress it enough, you WILL advance quickly if you have half a brain in your head!

This is a 40 hour/week gig, suitable for someone who lives in Fort Mac (4 10 hour shifts, every weekend is a long one!) and yes, rent is insanely high there (NYC prices) basically its $800-1000 for a bedroom in a house, the last place I was staying at was a 1200 Sq Ft furnished condo and my company was paying $3500/month for it!

Its up to you but I would prefer to work shift in Fort Mac camps (say 2 weeks on, 1 off) and live in a half decent city like Calgary or Edmonton.

Keep looking around, try some of the major oil sands contractors too (especially for shut down work- big money in short time): Jacobs, FT Services, DCM construction, KBR, Transfield Services, Ledcor, Canonbie, Aecon, Lockerbie and Hole, Quinn Contracting, BFL Construction, PCL, Enerflex, etc.

Also, you can try some drilling companies, they also have work in Fort Mac and other areas of AB,BC and Sask: Precision Drilling, Nabors Drillling, Trindad Drilling, etc.

Cold call, e-mail, etc. Get in touch with the HR people and see what they have to say, there's lots of options and now is THE BEST time to make your move (next 3-6 months).
01-28-2012 07:07 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-28-2012 07:07 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM