Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-29-2012 02:26 AM)misterstir Wrote:  I just want to clarify a few things.
1. Your tax rate will be provincial + federal + local. so the 26-29% + 10% in alberta = 39%. Really alberta is unsually low tax as far as Canada goes. Quebec top tax rate I believe is almost 60%. And Ontario is about 50% and on par with european welfare states. Even comapred to the so called 42% dutch rate, you can see Alberta's 39% rate is not a huge improvement, you're still going to pay lots of taxes. Compare that to US where obama is paying 26% and romney 15%.

2. I'm skeptical of what Scotian says about finding a job being easy for a new guy with no experience. I'm not calling him a liar or nothing like that. I just think it might be easy for him as an experienced plumber to find work. This is because in Canada, it is easy to find jobs for people with 3-5+ years of work experience in any given. However if you have no work experience but just school in general it is very difficult to find a job, for whatever reason Canadians do not like to hire inexperienced people. Even new doctors and new lawyers have lots of trouble finding work here. Even for entry level jobs you will need to have worked 3-4 internships in university to get a good job. Often these same employers who refuse to hire Canadian university grads then turn around and claim they cannot find any qualified talent and demand immigrant workers, who ironically they refuse to hire because they claim they have no Canadian experience or poor language skills (no shit sherlock, wtf do you expect). On the otherhand, it can see logical that if you have all these jobs, and lack of people/workers, it only make sense that you have lots of jobs. Probably the last boom province in canada besides saskatchewan.

Anyways, despite my skepticism, I think this is nonetheless I great datasheet with lots of good information, good job Scotian

Mistirstir, what you say about the job market and hiring practices is very true in MOST Canadian cities, but Fort McMurray really is its own little world and guys can find decent paying jobs with absolutely NO work experience. Check out the careers sections of some of the companies that I listed:

CEDA: http://www.cedagroup.com/index.html , click on "2012 CEDA jobs", you'll see that they are hiring labourers (these are positions for inexperiened guys), they will also pay for flights, training, camp accommodation, meals, etc.

Same for United Safety: http://www.unitedsafety.net/ , right on their career section of the website they say that they will hire inexperienced guys for upcoming work this spring.

Those are just two companies, pretty much all contractors hire newbies and train them up and give them plenty of room to advance. Its best to come to Alberta first (Calgary, Red Deer, Edmonton, Fort Mac, etc.) and get hired from here, especially if you're new, companies generally won't fly you out unless you're skilled.

Now, obviously these are entry level position, so they aren't the really high paying ones, you probably won't make 6 figures in 6 months, but a guy will likely clear about $1500/week and since ALL of his expenses will be covered, he should be able to save quite a few bucks, then do whatever he wants, upgrade skills, travel, go back home and collect EI, etc.

I willing to bet that if ANY Canadian person, young or old took down all of the info I've posted in this thread, and applied of all of the companies that I listed, he's be working in the oil sands this spring and making decent money.
01-29-2012 10:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Roma

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-29-2012 10:24 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM