Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(01-31-2012 02:28 AM)misterstir Wrote:  
(01-31-2012 01:47 AM)scotian Wrote:  
(01-31-2012 01:03 AM)misterstir Wrote:  All in all after 5 years out who earns most of all the trades people?

Are there jobs for plumbers out there well paying. I know Toronto plumbers earn$$$. Guy charged me $150 for less than 30 minutes of work and was book solid.

I'm surprised that a welder earns more than an electrician out there. Don't you have to breath in a lot of fumes as a welder?

How is a milwright earning out there?

And where do you think is better Alberta Oil rig, or west australia coal mine?

Most tradesmen make around $40-45 for a journeyman rate (that is base rate, goes up x1.5 or x2 with OT rates), welders can make a lot more because they can self contract, meaning that they get no pension, OT rates ($100-120 straight time all the time), have to do their own taxes, health care benefits, etc.

It really depends on how much OT you work and if you work all year round, but most journeymen can expect to make 150-225K if they work a decent shift like 2 weeks on 1 off all year round.

I met an ambitious welder who was about 40 years old, been welding since he was 20, he was running his own truck at about $100/hour, plus he owned 4 other trucks which he rented out to other guys for $40/hour, so basically this guy was hauling in $260/hour, all year around. There's BIG money to be made up here if a guy knows how to hustle and keep his nose clean, the rates I'm quoting above for journeymen are base rates that pretty much any guy can make if he decides to follow the trades route.

I'm not too sure about the rates in Oz, but a good friend of mine who spent many years working in Fort Mac recently relocated to Perth and he is making more money, but he's working offshore. These two areas (western Canada and western Oz) are both gold mines for guys looking to work, so is North Dakota, USA right now.

He is working offshore as a welder?

Yes, he is a 'rope access" welder, which means he hangs in the air by ropes, sometimes a couple hundred meters suspended over the ocean!

That's another good trade to get into, rope access, check it out: http://www.irata.org/

That's another trade that isn't for pussies!!!

I"m pretty sure, to get your own truck on the go, you just buy it and contract yourself out. You'll need the proper certifications (inter-provincial journeyman ticket, b-pressure welding, ticket, etc.), you need to set it up as a proper business, then you go out and find your own work and contracts!
01-31-2012 11:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 01-31-2012 11:22 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM