Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hi Everyone

This is my first post, I’ve have been waiting till the 1st so I could register for about 2 weeks!

I am a 23 year old Irish guy, as the username suggests, and I am very grateful that I stumbled across this forum. Really impressed with what I have seen so far, really good melting pot of game/lifestyle/wealth discussions. Wish I had of found this 4 years ago.

Scotian you’re an absolute legend! Thanks for all the advice man. I have gone ahead and applied for the full year visa and should be arriving at the end of March. A lot of it was down to reading this tread. Really appreciate the time gone into putting all this together just to helping us out. I’ll have a few pints waiting for ya if you ever visit Ireland.

I will be booking the flights once I get confirmation that my visa is going to go through successfully (it takes 6-8 weeks to do in Ireland). My plan at the moment is to land in Calgary and either do bar work till I can sort out a job in the oil business OR just go straight up to Fort McMurray and try to start work straight off. I have been sending CVs and using my LinkedIn account for the last 2 weeks to have something lined up for when I land but to be honest very few companies are getting back to me. My CVs and LinkedIn are top notch so not sure why that is. I haven’t started ringing yet (I will wait till nearer the time) but hopefully that goes better and I have something lined up before I get there.

I am planning on working very hard/smart, getting into the management side of things (I have a good degree in Construction and Engineering Management and plenty of relevant engineering/management experience) then working till I am about 28. I want to start working on some business ideas I have back in Ireland/Europe while I am over there and then hopefully be able to just get out of it when they are generating enough income.

Scotian I don’t really want to ask you much because you have answered so much already and have put up enough info for a motivated person to be able to figure it out themselves.

As it gets nearer the time I might get back in touch to see what you recommend but for now I will just start contributing to this forum and enjoying what it has to offer…
02-01-2012 04:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 02-01-2012 04:13 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM