Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-01-2012 04:13 PM)Irishman Wrote:  Hi Everyone

This is my first post, I’ve have been waiting till the 1st so I could register for about 2 weeks!

I am a 23 year old Irish guy, as the username suggests, and I am very grateful that I stumbled across this forum. Really impressed with what I have seen so far, really good melting pot of game/lifestyle/wealth discussions. Wish I had of found this 4 years ago.

Scotian you’re an absolute legend! Thanks for all the advice man. I have gone ahead and applied for the full year visa and should be arriving at the end of March. A lot of it was down to reading this tread. Really appreciate the time gone into putting all this together just to helping us out. I’ll have a few pints waiting for ya if you ever visit Ireland.

I will be booking the flights once I get confirmation that my visa is going to go through successfully (it takes 6-8 weeks to do in Ireland). My plan at the moment is to land in Calgary and either do bar work till I can sort out a job in the oil business OR just go straight up to Fort McMurray and try to start work straight off. I have been sending CVs and using my LinkedIn account for the last 2 weeks to have something lined up for when I land but to be honest very few companies are getting back to me. My CVs and LinkedIn are top notch so not sure why that is. I haven’t started ringing yet (I will wait till nearer the time) but hopefully that goes better and I have something lined up before I get there.

I am planning on working very hard/smart, getting into the management side of things (I have a good degree in Construction and Engineering Management and plenty of relevant engineering/management experience) then working till I am about 28. I want to start working on some business ideas I have back in Ireland/Europe while I am over there and then hopefully be able to just get out of it when they are generating enough income.

Scotian I don’t really want to ask you much because you have answered so much already and have put up enough info for a motivated person to be able to figure it out themselves.

As it gets nearer the time I might get back in touch to see what you recommend but for now I will just start contributing to this forum and enjoying what it has to offer…

Irishman, welcome to the forum, glad you are coming to Alberta, we need you here, tell your friends to come too!

Honestly, you probably won't hear too much from many of the companies, if you call them up directly, they may give you some pointers but honestly, its best to get here first and go from there.

Calgary is a good city to start in, lots of jobs to be had, but its more of a white collar/office type city. Edmonton (where I'm based out of) is better for industrial work and of course Fort Mac is the best place to be for a high paying industrial type job. However, you can be based in either Calgary or Edmonton and get a camp job in Fort Mac where you will fly to work on a 2 weeks on 1 off type schedule.

A camp job with paid flights may be the best for you, especially if you are based in Calgary, during your week off you can go to the Rocky mountains and go skiing and partying in places like Banff, Lake Louise, etc.

I'll just warn you now, all of these cities are "car cities", I lived in both Edmonton and Calgary without a car, and while its not impossible, to be honest, it sucks, these cities just aren't designed like the walkable ones in Europe, or even eastern Canada!

Your best plan would be to rent a room in a house in Calgary/Edmonton ($400-600/month) or Fort Mac ($800-1000/month), and hit the streets with your CV. take whatever job you can to sustain yourself, hopefully its a good oil job with room for advancement, if not, keep applying til you find one. Quitting jobs in Alberta means nothing, everyone crosses the road for an extra buck or a better deal, I do too!

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask, I'll try my best to answer. I'll be back in Etown come mid-April and should by in the Mac by May, hopefully we can meet up for a pint then!
02-01-2012 10:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-01-2012 10:27 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM