Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-11-2012 07:53 PM)Hades Wrote:  
(02-10-2012 03:44 PM)Irishman Wrote:  
(02-06-2012 08:17 PM)Hades Wrote:  How much money can I make as a mechanical engineer?
Or a petroleum engineer?
Thanks
Hades

Hey man there is loads of good job websites to check wages on. Bit of a vague question to be honest. Depends on how many hours you work/where you are at/ how good you are etc...

Not to give out to you but Scotian has put up some high quality info here so best not to ask questions that show little or no background research on your own behalf. Again not trying to discourage you but moving to Canada will take some self-motivation and organisation so best to realise that at the start and then come back when your questions show some effort and planning.

Thanks for the reply.
I'm considering doing something like this once I graduate so I can get rid of my debt as fast as possible. Totally willing to put in maximum effort once I'm able to (in two years).
It's just that all the engineering firms and contractors that I have found on the internet (related to the oil boom) don't list anything about a basic wage for this particular job. I guess I'll keep looking or email one of the contractors or something.

What exactly are you studying? The more detailed you make your search the more useful the information you’ll find. I am happy to help you out, or anyone else, when I get there and have some firsthand knowledge of the industry.
From what Scotian has already written above I have come up with the following game plan for myself:

1. Get my foot in the door
I started a LinkedIn account to apply for jobs in Canada and I instantly started receiving emails from people looking for me to hire them. LOTS of emails. All promising me they will travel to Canada and are really well qualified etc. It doesn’t make any sense since I am not a company but it does show one thing. That the real companies are probably receiving a ton of emails full of promises and can’t decipher who is worthy to hire. So I have decided to take any job which just gets me out there and gives me a chance to actually start working there. Which brings me to my next step…

2. Instantly start networking.
People like hiring people they know and who they have met in person. I am going to show up and network like crazy. It’s all about building a reputation and getting along with the gatekeepers and decision makers. I have seen people move up in jobs really fast just because they know how to make vibe well and network intelligently. It’s a fine line and you don’t want to be a kiss ass or put yourself across to strongly but if you can build a good reputation and get on with people you will get ahead a lot faster.

3. Start looking to jump ship.
Scotian mentioned jumping jobs a lot and you can see his salary has risen quite a lot every year. I will be looking for jobs that have the highest return on investment. Basically what pays well and has me inside in a warm office. I have a degree in engineering management so I am looking to make the most out of that. I am also looking for something that allows me to have a month off now and then.

Personally I am coming over from Ireland to make some serious money and over a few years build an amazing lifestyle. I believe that the stronger my goals going in the better I will do and the quicker I will get results. I am 24 in a few weeks so If I do 5 years of work and use my time off to start some businesses and use my money wisely I should be well set up by 30. Not that I won’t be having fun before that. I surf a lot and love to travel so I will be taking quite a few weeks off to head down to south America.

You have two years before you can start working so start doing some research into your best moves between now and then. I wouldn’t worry too much about the exact wage you will be making because that will always change. Think about what you are going to do with the money so that you can build an amazing lifestyle and move on after a few years. Start looking into books on networking, starting businesses, travel and game. Work on the basics and the rest will fall together. Lots of people make very big money but blow it all or invest it into a very average lifestyle. I’d rather own a cheap surf shop in a cool coastal town in Brazil then a big expensive house in a Calgary suburb if you get my drift.

If you put up some more details on your situation I will give you some more advice I wish I had heard during University but at the end of the day that’s just my take so start looking into why you want to make that money in the first place yourself.
02-12-2012 09:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 02-12-2012 09:42 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM