Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
[/quote]

Thanks for the reply.
I'm considering doing something like this once I graduate so I can get rid of my debt as fast as possible. Totally willing to put in maximum effort once I'm able to (in two years).
It's just that all the engineering firms and contractors that I have found on the internet (related to the oil boom) don't list anything about a basic wage for this particular job. I guess I'll keep looking or email one of the contractors or something.
[/quote]

I'm not too sure about the exact wages for professional engineers or engineering summer students, but its safe to say that they would be fairly well remunerated. I see ads for oil sands engineers on http://www.jobbank.gc.ca in the 120-150K range, that would probably be a minimum, a guy with a few years experience will likely make more.

One thing to remember, engineers don't usually work an insane amount of over time like tradesmen do, they have a cushy office job where they sit at a desk all day and tell guys like me what to do, so they don't always make really big dollars, like a welder can.

Engineers don't go to school for 5 years so they can climb around pipe racks in -30 weather or inside boilers wearing a Hazmat suit and working under air where the ambient temperature is +40, that's for grunts like me!
02-13-2012 09:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-13-2012 09:04 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM