Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
alecks Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-13-2012 04:05 PM)Irishman Wrote:  
(02-13-2012 09:34 AM)scotian Wrote:  Irishman, sounds like you have some solid plans figured out, do you know when you'll be arriving in Alberta?

Thanks Scotian. I have everything sorted really except a solid lead on a job. CEDA have been slow to respond but I am sure I will have a final answer from them this week. I plan to be in Alberta this time next month. I will be arriving on a very tight budget so am very keen to have worked lined up for when I land. Ireland’s recession is out of control so I am getting out as quick as I can.

Either way I will be there this time next month but would be nice to know for sure that I have work when I land. Although I am confident that if I didn’t that I could get hired within a few days. My plan this week is to start ringing every company I can get a number for. I know this is quite a crude approach but I really want as much contacts and job leads as possible for when I land and sending CVs doesn’t seem to be working.

I will start with all the companies listed so far in this post and then whatever else I come across. For me it’s really just about getting there and starting work. Don’t mind putting in a month’s work doing whatever as long as I get my foot in the door. When I get an exact date on flights Ill message I will let people know and keep them up to date on how everything goes. So far has anyone else reading this been successful on securing work or even booking flights? It would be cool if we got a whole crew moving up for the next year or two. That will definitely keep everyone motivated and provide a network benefit each other. Really hope in a months’ time I got the inside scoop to be helping more people get up here.

I will post up again soon and let people know how all these phone calls go.

Scotian are you up there at the moment?

wow irishman your really going for it. (I actually emailed you about it aswel but not sure if it went through).

Anyway im irish too and the recession is so bad its unreal,hundreds of people are emigrating every month. Im going to do a fas course in some trade (welding,carpentry etc) and actually move over there by this time next year. I just have to bite the bullet in a situation like this.

knowing that Il have to start at the bottom like scotian said,I actually dont mind,it will give me a challenge to work for. I just need to start becoming financially independent from my family at this time. And like what you said about the lifestyle you can build once you work your ass off....SOUNDS PRETTY GOOD lol. Like i know they said its not for everyone (I wouldnt give two shits if i lived in a prison camp/work 14 hour days), but they say the advantages outweigh the disadvantages. Best of luck irishman.
02-13-2012 04:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - alecks - 02-13-2012 04:18 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM