Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Atlantic Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-26-2012 08:08 AM)pitt Wrote:  Congratulations on making a move there, i think you are the only cat on here who has made serious moves so far, congrats on that.

Do you mind if you tell me if you are applying for a holiday working visa which is valid for up to a year?

I have also read somewhere that they want to recruit drivers so i dont know if driving and holding a driving license is a must in order to get a job there (hopefully scotian can clarify this).

Irishman you also said that you have been making contacts on linkedin..have you found any jobs from there?

This is the visa I applied for…
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/ire...eng&view=d

I have just got past the first stage and hopefully in two weeks’ time will be fully approved and ready to book flights. I have been told it is easy to get a second year and hopefully I will end up getting citizenship.

Yes I have seen a lot of driver jobs applied for but I am sure you could sweet talk your way into a lot more jobs if you had to. A good thing for you to do would be to ring up a company that is looking for drivers and just start asking them all your questions.

So found I have found LinkedIn to be hugely disappointing. No proper offers or contacts made. Everyone seems to be all take and no give. I have had more people asking me to hire them than actual job offers. I would not bother with it.

My advice would be to start making the move and applying for your visa. Save as much as you can and then get ready to do some serious job hunting when you arrive. Seems like the sort of place where just looking and acting more professional than the majority will get you a long way. Which is something that any of the guys on here with a bit of social skills and dress sense is more than capable of. Once I have my foot in the door I am looking to move up the ladder very quickly and getting a comfortable well-paying job.

Pitt if you are serious about it I will help you out when you arrive and try line up contacts and jobs. Same goes for anyone on here that seems to be making real effort.

Can’t see why more guys aren’t posting up actual plans of doing this. All the info is here, the jobs are nearly guaranteed and the money is impressive.
02-26-2012 08:40 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Atlantic - 02-26-2012 08:40 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM