Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-26-2012 06:57 AM)Irishman Wrote:  First stage of my Visa has just gone through. It has taken a lot longer than expected so kind of pushing back my plans of being there by early March. Looks like April now. I find out in the next 1-2 weeks if I am fully approved and then I am booking flights straight away. It has maybe worked out better for me cause I am actually saving a lot at the moment so that will allow me to shop around for the best job when I get there.

Scotian if you don’t mind could you suggest what courses one should do when they arrive to maximise employment opportunities?
I am between two minds in doing some courses straight off the plane or trying to get companies to pay for me to get trained up as part of my terms of employment.

Once again thanks Scotian for all this information. I’m already looking forward to travelling the world and starting businesses this time next year…

For sure you will need H2S Alive training, its a one day, 8 hour course all about how H2S (sour gas) can kill you, its pretty deadly stuff and you need the ticket to get onto all oil and gas sites. There's lots of different places to take the course all over Alberta, I think it costs about $150 which is money well spent IMO, if you have that ticket before you start applying, it'll make you more attractive to employers. You could also try to get a job without it, but most job posting I see have H2S as a prerequisite.

Other safety tickets are CSTS (Construction Safety Training System), First-Aid/CPR, Confined Space Entry and Fall Arrest. Depending on the job, you may need to take some or all of those courses, they're all a day long and coast about $100-150.

Speaking of safety, if you've never been on a big industrial site, safety is huge! I can't emphasize enough how big of a deal it is and how working in big refineries can be really dangerous if you cut corners. As a new guy you'll have to do a lot of site specific safety orientations, some as long as 3-4 days of nothing but safety. Its all good to come and work in the oil biz and make a tonne of cash, but play safe, if you aren't sure about something, don't be afraid to ask and NEVER ever ever ever cut corners on a job site or do something that you know is unsafe, if caught you will be run off site and black listed or worse, you could be seriously injured or die!
02-26-2012 01:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-26-2012 01:24 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM