Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-26-2012 08:08 AM)pitt Wrote:  
(02-26-2012 06:57 AM)Irishman Wrote:  First stage of my Visa has just gone through. It has taken a lot longer than expected so kind of pushing back my plans of being there by early March. Looks like April now. I find out in the next 1-2 weeks if I am fully approved and then I am booking flights straight away. It has maybe worked out better for me cause I am actually saving a lot at the moment so that will allow me to shop around for the best job when I get there.

Scotian if you don’t mind could you suggest what courses one should do when they arrive to maximise employment opportunities?
I am between two minds in doing some courses straight off the plane or trying to get companies to pay for me to get trained up as part of my terms of employment.

Once again thanks Scotian for all this information. I’m already looking forward to travelling the world and starting businesses this time next year…

Congratulations on making a move there, i think you are the only cat on here who has made serious moves so far, congrats on that.

Do you mind if you tell me if you are applying for a holiday working visa which is valid for up to a year?

I have also read somewhere that they want to recruit drivers so i dont know if driving and holding a driving license is a must in order to get a job there (hopefully scotian can clarify this).

Irishman you also said that you have been making contacts on linkedin..have you found any jobs from there?

Pitt, you don't necessarily need to have a driver's license to find work in the oil sands but it helps for sure, especially if you've looking to find a job as a driver! If you plan on becoming a driver, you will need to get a special license called a "class one" to drive big rigs or "class 3" to drive vac trucks or dump trucks, a regular license to drive cars is a "class 5".

Driving a truck is a pretty good job and pays fairly well, also its a skill that you can use pretty much anywhere in the world, so I'd say its a decent option for a guy to get into. I was considering it before I got into the trades, but I'm a terrible driver behind the wheel of a regular sedan and the thought of driving a semi freaked me out!

Good luck guys
02-26-2012 01:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 02-26-2012 01:31 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM