Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
?Kick Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I spoke to a friend who works out there for suncor. And this is what she told me,

"If you really want to make a secure future here you should look into getting some related certification and or diploma to support that.. one that can be obtained in a very short period of time is heavy hauler's certificate if it is done here in Kyano collage then placement is also guaranteed" ...

Heavy Hauler's certificate seems like an easy way in for those of us without any experience. Dunno how much it costs. I'm not sure if I would do any of those courses in Fort Mac though, unless they cover living expense haha. A cheap option would be Lethbridge college. 1 months rent is about $400 out there.

As far as my plan goes:

1. Get my tickets - h2s, csts and first aid. Which I have completed
2. Land in edmonton sometime in April, most likely the first week.
3. Apply like a mad man. My experience so far has been very similar to Irishman's. A lot of employers want you to physically be in AB before even considering you. Although the best case scenario would be to have something lined up before landing.
4. Hoping to land a workcamp gig and just start banging out as many hours as possible.
5. After saving enough, I'll be taking a course to upgrade my skills - welding, plumbing, hauling, safety. Whatever I find interesting when i'm out there.

I think it all comes down to getting our asses in AB. Once that happens, its pretty much go time.
Since there's a couple of us planning to land in April, Hippo and Irishman, I'm thinking maybe we could even go splits on a place until we find a gig? Just a thought, if anyone is down, I can start looking into prices for a place to stay.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2012 11:34 AM by ?Kick.)
02-27-2012 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes ?Kick's post:
Sylvester

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 02-27-2012 11:29 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM