Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(03-02-2012 08:37 PM)Ecksie Wrote:  Wow scotian you provide a wealth of knowledge. I wasn't very clear in my previous post though. I have a civil engineering degree but would be looking for a Project Manager position (I've found a number of available positions including the one you posted).

I'm currently working with drilling rigs on a daily basis. The work is easy but I'm not really using my skills. The job I hold could be filled by someone with no experience and half a brain.

What do you suppose the pay for most project managers or supervisors would be? In Edmonton/Calgary, those jobs would typically be salary and 40 hours/week but it seems that many of them in Fort McMurray seem to be hourly & fly in/fly out. WageINFO seems to indicate that the average pay for this position in Cold Lake is ~$55/hr but I've seen 2 opportunities on Kijiji that indicated $75/hr. I'd like to walk into an interview having a solid idea of what to expect.

When you interview for the jobs, are the interviews typically conducted in Fort McMurray or were you able to interview in Edmonton/Calgary?

I'm not sure what the salary would be for a guy with your skills set and work experience, but I can tell you that my previous manager in our Fort Mac office was making 150K salary for 40 hrs/week, free furnished apartment, company truck with gas card for personal and work use, paid cell phone, profit sharing plan, etc. He doesn't have any post-secondary, just trades training and about 20 years in the field.

I'm an hourly union worker so my wage is set by the collective agreement, I've always worked out of the Edmonton offices of my employers so thats where the interviews were done and they were quite informal. Yours on the other hand wouldn't be, and I imagine you could do the interviews in Edmonton/Calgary.

Are you willing to relocate to Fort Mac? If so, you can negotiate a higher wage or salary and other perks like the ones listed above. As I've said in previous posts, I'm not sure about engineers salaries because I don't interact with them very often, but if tradesmen and labourers can make 100-200K working 12 hour shifts on fly-in/out rotations, I can't why a P.Eng wouldn't be paid at least that much.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 03:21 PM by scotian.)
03-03-2012 03:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 03-03-2012 03:20 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM