Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(04-13-2012 05:05 AM)Vin Wrote:  Hey Scotian, I'm a fellow "Scotian" myself living in Halifax being from Yarmouth. You should be landing in Edmonton today, have a great trip. My girlfriend used to work at a call center in Dartmouth next to a furniture store, probably the same one you worked at. Anyway, I'm really wanting to make a move out west but i have zero skills. I'm a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) working out of the Halifax Infirmary making just under $50xxx a year. I work days, nights and 12 hour shifts. I get puked on shit on pissed on bleed on I've been spit at punched kicked and yelled at by stupid family members that don't have a f'ing clue. I had a patient with HIV once that wouldn't stop biting his lips and tongue and spitting on me and my co-workers. I used to love my job but it got old fast and now after 8+ years of it i wanna quit. Unfortunately i can't just up and quit a full time job with full benefits and pension. My common law girlfriend is 3 months away from finishing a diploma program at NSCC, therapeutic recreation. Good course. She can get a job in most nursing homes and some hospitals. So I'm thinking of getting my class 3, air brake drivers license and moving out west or coming out temporarily to look for work. Can a guy with just a class 3 get a job driving a truck on the sands? By the way I'm 36 years old, 37 in July. Like to live out there for 10-15 years then move back to Nova Scotia. What about the two companies out here in Nova Scotia that train people for the oil rigs/sands. Is it worth taking those? Or what about taking a heavy equipment operator course before going? Or is it best to just move out there then take these courses? Thanks for all your help man. If i move out I'll bring you a Donair!!

Hey man, if you're looking at going the class 3 license route, there's lots of work out west for drivers. Clean Harbors is huge out here and they have an office in Halifax, stop by and see what they offer.

DON'T take those rig courses in Halifax, they are over priced and won't put you at any advantage over anyone else off the street, just take the H2S course and other basic safety tickets and you'll be good to go.

If you can, I'd look into pre-employment type courses at NAIT/SAIT/Keyano college and get into a trade or some kind of technical work.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
04-14-2012 12:45 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-14-2012 12:45 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
<