Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(04-19-2012 06:00 PM)zeeman Wrote:  Hey I was wondering if anyone knows of the situation in Saskatchewan? I heard places like Estevan, SK is what fort macmurray was 5 years ago and things are ramping up with exploration not only in oil but mining and other natural resource extraction industries. I've checked some job postings and searched the internet a bit, seems a lot of jobs list only 40 hrs a week and are in a mad hiring season for oil, gas, etc. From what I understand living in Saskatchewan is significantly cheaper then living in the major cities of alberta and fort macmurry, and if they pay the same with similar hours, going to saskatchewan is the place to go.

That's true, Estevan is like a mini-Fort Mac right now, a friend of mine worked at the Saskpower plant there on a recent shut down and told me its busy, but its a dump of a town and the housing isn't all that cheap.

I'd rather pay the extra $200-400 per month to be based out of Edmonton than anywhere in Sask to be honest. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh, but to me, Sask has all of the shitty aspects of Alberta: very cold, flat prairie, small town hick culture (ever watch Corner Gas?), reserves everywhere, etc. But it has none of the good Alberta qualities (mountains, chinooks in Calgary, NHL hockey, no PST). If you're not a city type and you want to live in Alberta, consider either Cold Lake or lloyminster, both smaller towns and are very busy with oil and gas, and cheaper than Fort Mac or the big Albertan cities.

I'm sure you'll do well if you decide to relocate to Saskatchewan, it IS busy, the people are very down to earth there and the girls a lot nicer and approachable than Alberta, but I would rather live in Calgary/Edmonton than Regina/Saskatoon, I would surely go bonkers in a town like Estevan.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
(This post was last modified: 04-20-2012 11:30 AM by scotian.)
04-20-2012 11:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-20-2012 11:27 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM