Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(04-21-2012 02:11 AM)Jayman77 Wrote:  oh and I almost forgot. You said company's will hire you as a laborer and let you prove yourself before they offer an apprenticeship. Let's say I find one in fort mac that's willing to do this, would i have to relocate there? I would love to just rent a cheap place in Edmonton and live there on my off days, then drive up to work and live in a camp while I'm there. Do most of these companies offer camps for laborers and apprentices? I apologize if you've already answered this before.

If you drive up to Fort Mac and look for work there, you will likely be hired as a local, some companies offer living allowances or housing incentives, but probably won't for a labourer. You'd likely work in town or on-site and be home every night, so that may interest you because you could still have a social life (well as much as you can in a city like Fort Mac). You can also move to Edmonton or Calgary and be hired for a Fort Mac camp type job and fly in and out on a rotation, that's what I'm doing now. As for my trade, I don't want to post it on a public forum with so many lurkers, but I will say that I'm a member of the United Association pipefitters union, so I'm sure you could figure it out from there (hint: not only pipefitters are UA members).

Anyway, I just started this pipeline job about 100 kms east of buttfuck nowhere, its brutal, the weather sucks (still snowing, cold at night) and the mud is insane, oh well, 100 hours a week is what I signed up for.

I'll post some pics of the camp I'm staying in soon

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
04-21-2012 04:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-21-2012 04:36 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM