Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Vacancier Permanent Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hey man, it's great to see another guy here who works there. Great advice on joining a union first...but for someone fresh in the game, how would one go about that? Would you suggest to go straight to their head office and ask to be registered even without being part of their trade at the time but looking to get into it? Can you shed some lights into that?

Scotian,
Thanks for posting pics of your room at the camp, it really gives a good idea of what to expect.

Has anyone else from here made the move to AB or is about to make it in the nexg 1-3 months? I'm ready to pull the trigger and go soon...

(04-20-2012 07:23 PM)Crow Wrote:  I just moved back up to Fort Mac last week. I've lived here on and off since 1990, grew up here. The town has changed a lot of the years. Right now I travel in the winter and work in the summer. I got a job as soon as I walked into the union hall in Edmonton(millwright union). They need 85 guys right now for various shutdowns.
I'm on the 6 and 6 shift, starting nightshift tonight.
I've been off work since August, travelled through the states and central america, spent every penny I made last summer!

To those looking to come up here: Find a job first! Many people arrive and then struggle to get on at site because they haven't gone through the steps to join the union and wait for a call.

I hear the pipefitters union is taking in new applicants with no experience to get their numbers up. Pipefitting is 4 year trade and the work isn't that bad.

I would say that it's not worth it to move up here unless you are interested in pursuing a trade, or driving heavy equipment.
Also, the real estate game is pretty big up here, although I'm not sure if the market is in as much of a boom as it was 2 years ago.

If anyone has any questions about Fort mac in general I might be able to help.

And what scotian says about the money is true, its great!
04-23-2012 09:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vacancier Permanent's post:
Master Of My Own Kingdom

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Vacancier Permanent - 04-23-2012 09:05 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM