Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Online
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(04-24-2012 04:27 PM)Maverick Wrote:  Can't thank you enough for the information Scotia - I'm expecting to be made redundant in my boring 9-5 desk job (accounts) in the UK anytime soon. The chance to earn this kinda money while I'm still young is one I can't pass..

I've applied for 10-15 jobs based on the links you've posted on the first page that I would have a hope in hell of being considered for. I've got no formal qualifications in any kind of trade and would need some assistance in the migration over to Canada (bearing in mind I'm assuming the VISA situation is straightforward); do you think I've got much chance in being offered anything? I'm assuming that CEDA would be my best bet. Secondly, with two years accounting experience and half a degree do you think I'm likely to be offered anything above shovelling shit?

Appreciate that you may not be able to answer with any type of certainty, but anything to shed a bit more light would be fantastic. Once again, thanks for sharing..

Best bet is to get over here with a few quid in your pocket and see what happens, I meet people from the UK over here all the time, they like it and seem to do well. If you start out as some kind of labourer, yes you may end up shoveling shit, but you will move up fast if the company sees that you're ambitious. Your education may come into play as you advance, but you don't need a masters degree to hand a welder his next rod.

Guys, don't expect too many responses if you're applying from overseas, even out of province, unless you are skilled, companies aren't going to help you out much unless you're in their office, CV in hand.

The site I'm currently on has the following contractors:

-Strike Energy Services: http://www.strikeenergy.com
-Bird construction: http://www.bird.ca/
-Nabors drilling
-Precision Drilling
-Flint Energy: http://www.flintenergy.com/
-Garda Security

Guys, its busy here now just like I said it was going to be when I started this thread a few months ago and will likely remain so for awhile. However, this is a boom and bust place (Alberta), you ride the wave while its good, make and save as much money as you can, because they usually come and go. I was lucky enough to move out here half way through the last boom (it lasted from around 2004-2008), it will get even busier here as more projects are ramping up and coming on-line.

If you're interested, the next 3-5 years will likely be very busy, so get a plan together, save up some money and get your asses out to Alberta while the going is good!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
04-25-2012 06:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes scotian's post:
MunichSux

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 04-25-2012 06:12 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM