Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
?Kick Offline
Sparrow

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(04-28-2012 01:58 AM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  [/align]This is awesome man! Way to go!
Did you get there without any prior experience in the field or with experience? Did you take any pre-employment course or certificate or you just showed up? How long did it take you to get that shut down gig? Also, how would one get into a union if one is just started out with no experience or at most, just a certificate?

Really appreciate you guys posting updates on this. I will be joining you guys very soon...Smile

[align=left]
(04-26-2012 10:22 PM)?Kick Wrote:  Sup guys,
Just wanted to say that I made the move out to Edmonton. Did a whole bunch of research and took a lot of advice from Scotian and it has paid off!

I got a gig working a shutdown site. plenty of hours and plenty of perks. Overtime + Hotel Accommodations + 50 bucks a day for food.

Like Scotian has said, the best chance of being picked up is to get you asses over here! A lot of companies have walk in interviews available (Savanna Drilling for example, savannacareers @ savannaenergy .com, located at 9753 51st Ave.).

I was also able to get a gig with United Safety, but I turned it down. Some other companies that are hiring are Naibors, Ensign Drilling, AFCN, Aramark and Paladin Security. I also met a boilermaker here and he said that the union is looking for people. just show up to the office (International Brotherhood of Boilermakers Lodge 146), ask about their pre-apprenticeship program and you can pretty much get started asap. Thats what I've been told anyway.

Another option, if you need cash right away, is to do some landscaping work. Weedman pays about 18/hr without any experience. Another landscaping company that a friend of mine recommended is Canadian Property Stars. Apparently, they pay up to 400 per day and you can make your own hours/work 7 days a week. If you wanted.

I have absolutely no regrets making the move to Edmonton. And hopefully in a year or two, I can make some serious bank!

Best of luck!

Hey VP,
I had no experience prior to coming out here! Back home in Ontario, I worked in marketing and management. Hated it. Those gigs dont mind hiring people without experience. They are willing to train and provide accommodations (landscaping ones are the exception). I was offered those gigs the same week that I applied for them. Applied monday, was called thursday/friday sort of thing. They really are hurting for people!
As far as unions go I'm not too sure. Maybe Scotian can clarify. But I believe that if the particular trade needs people, they will take you on right away and get you started in a pre-employment program/assistant position. Otherwise, you may be put on a waiting list or you may need a certain amount of hours in the industry (as a hand or assistant) before being allowed to join.
Once winter hits and the rigs open up again, there will be a helluva lot more gigs opening up too!
04-29-2012 02:34 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes ?Kick's post:
DjembaDjemba

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - ?Kick - 04-29-2012 02:34 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM