Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Jack Of All Trades Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
so I've read more about the oil & gas industry up in alberta. Maintenance will always be jobs from what I understand, because the break even cost of different projects is different. If the oil prices shit themselves again new projects will be halted, but the older ones will still require a ton of maintenance, etc because the break-even prices are significantly lower, ex. the early projects it cost them 30$ to produce a barrel of oil!!! nowadays you're looking at 60-75$ cost per barrel for newer projects until they reach their payback period in the project lifecycle. The good thing about the industry is that oil companies hedge their prices so it gives them more leeway with timing of projects, unless it goes from 140 to 35 in a month, that's a different story. Also I'm thinking the oil slump could be because of summer maintenance shutdowns as refineries go offline they don't buy crude forcing a glut if too many go offline or go down for maintenance. If this is the case it should pick up after august, if the oil price continues to tank we're all fucked.

btw scotian, for safety trades like a technician/inspector are most of the jobs working for safety companies who get contracted by oil companies or can you join an oil company as an inhouse safety tech?
06-26-2012 12:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jack Of All Trades - 06-26-2012 12:28 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM