Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Online
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(06-26-2012 12:28 PM)zeeman Wrote:  so I've read more about the oil & gas industry up in alberta. Maintenance will always be jobs from what I understand, because the break even cost of different projects is different. If the oil prices shit themselves again new projects will be halted, but the older ones will still require a ton of maintenance, etc because the break-even prices are significantly lower, ex. the early projects it cost them 30$ to produce a barrel of oil!!! nowadays you're looking at 60-75$ cost per barrel for newer projects until they reach their payback period in the project lifecycle. The good thing about the industry is that oil companies hedge their prices so it gives them more leeway with timing of projects, unless it goes from 140 to 35 in a month, that's a different story. Also I'm thinking the oil slump could be because of summer maintenance shutdowns as refineries go offline they don't buy crude forcing a glut if too many go offline or go down for maintenance. If this is the case it should pick up after august, if the oil price continues to tank we're all fucked.

btw scotian, for safety trades like a technician/inspector are most of the jobs working for safety companies who get contracted by oil companies or can you join an oil company as an inhouse safety tech?

Those are all major factors in the oil sands as far as I know, but also it has to do with whats going on the the USA where we sent 98 or 99% of Alberta heavy oil.

Apparently there is currently a glut down there and reserves are full, this is why there's a big push to bulid the Enbridge Northern Gateway pipeline to the coast of BC to export to energy hungry Asian markets. Of course there's been a lot of resistance from green eco groups and native bands are putting up a fuss too, it doesn't help that there's been 3 oil spills in Alberta in the last month either.

I've also read that USA demand for oil has been decreasing over the past few years, actually right now there are the most unlicensed teenagers in something like 50 years, people are staying in and driving less due to social media, internet, etc.

About the job question, you can do both but generally any safety techs who work directly for the client (oil company) has a lot of experience and is "a big deal". They make good money but the thing is that there's very few of them, I've been on projects where there's 1000 guys on day shift and only 2-3 client safety reps. The rest of the safety techs are low skilled type jobs such as confined space monitor watch, they work for companies like United Safety or HSE Integrated.

A lot of senior or client safety guys were in other trades before going into safety because they wanted an easy job that isn't labour intensive, since they already know their way around a job site, such as a refinery, the transition into safety is easy. Safety isn't a "skilled trade", I don't know how to classify it, all I know is that those guys are the most hated people on site and I avoid them like the plague!

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
06-26-2012 11:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 06-26-2012 11:30 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM