Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Good to see some of you guys are still planning on making the move, as I keep saying, its busy, so make up a plan, save up a few bucks and get your asses out here.

So I was in Etown for a few days over the weekend to do a trade related test at NAIT and I ended up meeting fellow forum member Kick on Whyte ave. We watched the Silva fight then ended up bar hopping after and getting on the booze pretty hard, good times for sure, I forgot how nice Edmonton can be in the summer, a lot better than Fort Mac anyway!

He's been working hard since he arrived in Alberta last April, he actually ended up with a company that I worked at for a couple of years. He sent me a message back in the fall telling me how he was planning on going out and I encouraged him to do so (as I encourage all you guys to do), I also told him about my trade (which shall remain nameless unless you PM me),and once he got to Etown, I gave him some #s to call and next thing you know he is on a shut down within a week, working lots of hours and getting the experience he needs to advance quick in the trade. Kick now has a career on the go and I can guarantee this guy will go far because he's smart, ambitious, doesn't have an obvious crack addiction and had the balls to move out to Alberta.

Now, I'd say that Kick's story is a pretty good one, I certainly didn't have his success when I first moved out here (I wrote about this before on here, my first 6 months were a nightmare and I moved back home), but then again, I didn't have the info that's on here that all of you guys have.

So, don't think that, as an inexperienced green hand with no qualifications, you'll have an awesome job when you hop off the plane in Edmonton (but if you do, great), actually I would expect to get a shitty job, or a few shitty jobs for the first 3-6 months, maybe even a year, just like me. Once you get your bearings, make contacts, find a place, get a car, etc then you can decide which line of work you want to be in; oil sands, oil rigs, natural gas, which trade, go back to school, start apprenticeship, etc.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
07-11-2012 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like scotian's post:
MikeCF, DjembaDjemba, Vacancier Permanent, pitt, Ferro, Thehustler

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 07-11-2012 05:57 PM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM