Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Ecksie Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
If you're an American with a some sort of science degree, look into using NAFTA to immigrate. A lot of the challenge is that many employers don't want to dump a ton of resources into getting people into the country only to have them run to their competitor a few weeks after hire. If you use NAFTA, all you need is an offer letter, your passport, and your degree to get a work permit. You present those three documents at the border and can go to work.

The tricky part is getting an offer. If you have a degree that falls under NAFTA, I would buy a post office box somewhere in Alberta and put that address on all your resumes so that employers aren't shunned away by your international status. A few of the recruiters at the company I'm currently with make frequent trips to the states to interview prospects. Apply for any job that can get you here. The reality is, once you are here and have spent 6 months establishing yourself, you'll have an opportunity to land an amazing job. The key is simply getting here.

My background is a bit different than scotians so I can't offer first hand advice regarding a trade. However, I landed a job last year and have since moved into work that complements my skillset and I'm pulling down $150k salary a year at home in Edmonton every night. If I'm put on a project outside the city, I'm flown in-out and all living expenses are paid plus I get an additional 20% above my base salary. Edmonton is fantastic this time of the year....I'm certainly glad I made the move.
07-12-2012 12:04 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Ecksie - 07-12-2012 12:04 AM
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM